Community Access Television (CATV) is seeking new Board members. Fundraising or grant writing experience would be extremely useful but not required. CATV is in our 20th year, and we need active Board members with fresh, new perspectives for our newly expanded 15 person Board.
Meetings are typically at 4:30 PM on the 2nd Tuesday of April, June, August and December and held at our studio. There is also a Saturday evening meeting in February and annual membership meeting and event each October. Please pass this along if you know of anyone who might be interested in helping our organization continue to empower the Erie community's voices and visions.
The Board will support the work of CATV and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by CATV’s executive director, the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted adviser to the E.D. as he develops and implements CATV’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by CATV for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving CATV's annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the E.D. and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the E.D. and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Ensuring CATV’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities CATV serves
CATV Board Members will consider CATV a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that CATV can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, CATV expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
CATV’s Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about CATV’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of CATV’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of CATV’s beneficiaries